Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Tip-Top Conman!

Just cannot believe that I saved my landlady from Direct Energy Scam.  Just a week back I wrote on energy resellers’ scam here This afternoon, a tall back male in his 20s was here inspecting furnace. He said it is 8 years old and needs to be replaced. He offered to do it for free of cost.  My landlady is of Pakistani origin and not well verse in English. He made her sign few documents and collected some personal info. After he left I realized this was a scam. The time I informed my landlady, it was too late as she signed the contract with out reading it. Anyways, I did inform her that the whole dealing is sham. Poor lady, as she heard the horrors of direct energy customers from the net, she was visibly shaken.  She was very worried, her husband was not aware of this. I called the number from the pamphlet and spoke to the guy. I told him I had some questions and wanted to clarify it, he readily agreed to meet me at my residence. When he showed up, the landlord with his usual authoritative voice, asked for every document that as her signature and personal information. The shrewd guy, gave only 3 copies… Landlord was smart enough to identify the missing one. The sales agent had retained the carbon copy without their consent. Only when demanded for it, he handed it over.

She insisted me to talk to the sales agent like it was ''her'' talking. I processed her request and spoke to the guy like her. While I was on the phone with him, I asked him as why he needed the DOB; he gave me some weird answer. He said it is for the lawyers!! What the hell , why would ones lawyer need their clients DOB, that too a 3rd party collecting it??  I knew this guy is lying thru’ his teeth. What they are indulging in is unethical business practices and it is illegal too. Today, she was saved, what about others who unknowingly fall in to these traps?? I think only awareness of such devious practices by the energy resellers is the only way to stop these kinds of scams.  Just the satisfaction of knowing that I have helped someone is just an awesome feeling. However there are people who always fall for such scams. I only hope that people remain attentive when strangers visit their place of residence for whatever  reasons. I asked the most important question; why she let the guy in? the answer she gave me was shocking.  Without even verifying his authenticity, the lady had come to a conclusion about the guy only by his looks.  He looked authentic, she said. This is the best example as how looks can be deceptive.

An appeal to all Homeowners, never ever let anyone inspect your furnace or any other gadgets, unless you have personally scheduled an appointment and also previously interacted with the party either on the phone or in person.

Anyway, take care guys and happy weekend!   

No comments:

Post a Comment